Acne is a common skin condition that can affect anyone, expectantly on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders and legs due to accumulation of excess oil or sebum from sebaceous glands.
Some causes of this could be lack of proper hygiene, unhealthy diet, improper lifestyle, stress, hormonal imbalance, use of certain medications, etc.
Avocado For Acne
Most of the people want to treat their health and beauty problems naturally. Avocado fruit is well known for its amazing beauty and health benefits. You can use it in the form of juice, fruit or oil but use them regularly without any interruption.
Is Avocado Good For Acne?
Benefits Of Avocado For Acne Treatment:
- It is a rich source of vitamins and nutrients, suitable for all skin types.
- It is filled with vitamin E that helps to fight acne and lubricates the skin.
- It is high in fiber that helps to keep the blood sugar levels stable which in turn helps to balance the hormones in the body and thereby prevents the formation of acne.
- It has vitamin C and K that help to strengthen the immune system to fight against the acne causing bacteria.
- It has antioxidant compounds like riboflavin, thiamine, biotin, niacin, patothenic acid and other B – vitamin along with vitamin A and C that effectively counteracts the action of free radicals.
- It is low in calories and digests slowly to keep you full for longer.
- Avocado oil helps to coat the skin which protects it from harmful substance and also allows the skin to breathe properly.
- It contains omega 6 fatty acids called Linoleic acid that helps to keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. This also acts as anti-inflammatory agent that helps to reduce the pain and irritation.
- Consuming avocado everyday helps to control the secretion of the sebaceous gland.
How To Use Avocado For Treating Acne?
You can use this avocado by taking it internally or topical application to cure acne. Below are some selected methods to use avocados for acne treatment. You can select the home remedy from below which suits you the best.
Home Remedies For Acne
1. Avocado With Honey
- Cleanse your face with water and pat the skin dry.
- Scrape out the inside of an avocado and mash it up.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey and stir to make a fine paste.
- Apply this on the affected skin and leave for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and dry your face before applying moisturizer.
- Repeat this process for quick relief from acne.
Note: you can add 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (OR) distilled water for added benefits.
2. Avocado With Honey And Lemon Juice
- Peel and mash 1 ripe avocado.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of freshly extracted lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of honey and 4 teaspoons of warm water to make a fine paste.
- Apply in a circular motion on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for about 15 – 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Pat the skin dry and apply some oil free moisturizer.
- Store the remaining paste in a refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Apply this face mask regularly.
3. Avocado Mask For Acne
Oily skin is more prone to acne, and avocado helps to remove the excess oil from the skin.
- Mash a ripe avocado and apply on the affected skin.
- Let it sit for a few minutes until it dries completely and becomes tighter on the skin.
- Wash with cold water and pat dry.
- Or else you can also eat avocado fruit and rub the peel on the skin.
- Repeat the same process regularly.
4. Avocado With Egg White Mask
- Mash an ½ avocado and mix with an egg white.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to make a fine paste.
- Apply on the face and allow it to dry before rinsing off with water and dry.
- Re – apply this mask regularly.
Note: you can add 1 tablespoon of oatmeal in this mix.
Note: You can also add a teaspoon of yogurt instead of lemon juice.
5. Avocado Oil For Acne
When avocado oil is applied on the skin, it helps to remove dead skin cells, dirt, excess oil and thereby unclogs the pores. It also has essential vitamins like A, B, E and D that in turn helps to cure acne and other skin problems.
- Cleanse your face with mild facial cleanser and water.
- Apply avocado oil on the face and massage gently in a circular motion.
- Leave for 20 – 25 minutes and wipe with a warm wet towel.
- Use a mild scrub then wash off the face with water.
- Dry the skin and apply regularly.
6. Avocado With Oatmeal
This process is not only used to treat body acne but also helps to prevent chest acne.
- Mash 1/2 ripe avocado and mix in ½ cup of cooked oatmeal to make a paste.
- Apply this on the affected skin areas and rub gently for a few minutes.
- Leave it on for another few minutes and wash it off with warm water.
- Follow this process regularly.
7. Avocado And Tea Tree Oil
Both of these ingredients are very powerful in treating acne with its amazing benefits.
- Mix 4 parts of tea tree oil with 6 parts of avocado oil.
- Wash your face and apply the oil and massage in a circular motion.
- Pour hot water in a container and steam the face by covering it with a towel.
- Remain in that position for at least 10 – 15 minutes, having a break if needed.
- Wash the face with a mild scrub and pat the skin dry.
- Follow this process regularly.
8. Avocado And Coffee Scrub
Coffee is another effective ingredient used for acne scrub, as it is a natural oil reducer and invigorates skin to prevent acne.
- Mash ½ part of avocado and mix it with 2 to 3 teaspoon of ground coffee.
- Apply this on the acne affected areas of skin and scrub gently for a few minutes.
- Wait for 2 – 3 minutes and wash off with water.
- Pat the skin dry and repeat this scrubbing process regularly.
9. Avocado Facial Mask
This face mask effectively removes all the dirt and impurities deeply from the skin. It also helps to regulate oil production and eliminates debris that clogs pores.
In this process, banana and avocado helps to moisture and provides essential vitamins to clear acne. Yogurt soothes the irritated skin and olive oil moisturizes and reduces the appearance of large pores that cause acne.
- Avocado (over ripe) – 1/2 piece
- Banana (over ripe) – 1/2 piece
- Yogurt – 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Water (warm and cool)
- Mash both a ripened banana and avocado.
- Add yogurt and olive oil and stir well before applying on the affected skin.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes or more until it dries completely.
- Rinse with warm water followed by cool water to close the pores.
- Continue applying this facial mask regularly.
10. Avocado And Castor Oil
- Mix avocado with other oils to get desired results, depending on your skin type.
- Bring some water to the boil and put your face close to the steam to open the pores.
- Mix 3 parts of castor oil with 7 parts of avocado.
- Massage on your face in a circular motion and leave overnight.
- Clean your face with a mild facial scrub the next morning.
- Pat the skin dry and repeat regularly.
11. Avocado With Honey, Cinnamon And Cocoa Powder
This mask has anti-oxidant, antibacterial and antifungal properties that help to destroy the acne causing bacteria by nourishing the skin softly and deeply.
- Mashed avocado – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Cocoa powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Lukewarm water
- Mix avocado pulp, raw honey, cinnamon powder and cocoa powder (optional) together.
- Apply on the face and neck carefully without getting into the eye area.
- Wait for 20 – 30 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Continue applying this mask once a week.
12. Avocado With Tomato
Tomato has essential vitamins and minerals along with proteins that help to get rid of acne.
- Expose your skin to hot steam for about 10 – 15 minutes by covering your head and hot bowl with soft towel to open the pores.
- Mash avocado and tomato in a container and stir it well before applying on the skin.
- Allow it to sit for about 30 – 40 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Do the same process regularly.
13. Avocado Mask For Acne Treatment
This mask is very effective for treating acne along with its scars on the skin.
- Avocado – 1/2 piece
- Uncooked oatmeal – 1/4 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients together to make a paste.
- Apply on the affected skin and leave for 20 – 25 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Continue doing this process regularly.
14. Avocado Peel
- Peel and cut an avocado into chunks.
- Take the ripe peel and rub it all over the affected skin.
- Massage in an upward direction for a few minutes.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
- Repeat the process regularly.
15. Avocado and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels which help to regulate the oil production. Being a natural detoxifier, it deals with the harmful toxins and free radicals that contribute to acne.
- Combine pulp of 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of honey and few drops of lemon juice.
- Mix the ingredients well until it forms a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for 20 – 25 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Continue following this homemade remedy 3 times in a week.
16. Avocado and Cucumber
Cucumber contains 90% of water which is helpful in hydrating the skin and regulating the oil balance. Its astringent property helps to treat acne and lightens the acne scars.
- Combine pulp of 1/2 avocado and 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Gently massage in circular motions for few minutes.
- Leave the application for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse off the application with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 3 times in a week.
17. Avocado and Yogurt
Yogurt contains enzymes which exfoliate the impurities and excess oil from the skin pores. It soothes the irritation, inflammation and redness caused by pimples.
- Combine 4 tablespoons of avocado pulp and 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt.
- Spread the mixture on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for as long as possible and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process 3 times in a week.
Eating Avocado For Acne:
Avocado is low in fat, as well as being good for your skin. When you consume it, it lubricates the skin and makes it blemish free. It also regulates the hormonal levels of the body.
Buy avocados that are only slightly soft to touch. Try adding a little of this to your smoothies and increase its quantity day by day. You can add 1/4 or 1/2 of avocado in smoothies (especially in the place of banana) for a creamy texture. Or else you can also add chopped avocados in salads or in omelets.
Tips And Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions for safe and effective relief.
Using a banana, avocado and wheat gram mask on acne affected area will help to clear acne by minimizing the skins pores.
- Do a patch test before applying these methods to see if you are allergic.
- Remember that avocado will stain fabric.
- Eat any unused bits of avocado.
- Steam your face before application of methods to open the pores.
- Store any excess avocado mask in a refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Or you can also use avocado and oatmeal clay mask (like Freeman Feeling Beautiful Avocado and Oatmeal Clay Mask) which is suitable for all types of skin. This clay mask nourishes and purifies the skin by purging out the dirt and oils from the pores.
- Eat a nutrition rich diet that includes vitamins, minerals and iron. This helps to maintain proper health and boost your immune system.
- Reduce your stress levels as it can worsen the acne and lead to hormonal imbalance in the body.
- Make sure to consult your dermatologist, if you’re allergic to this fruit or if you didn’t find any kind of relief from this acne after using this avocado for a week.
You can make sure your skin stays healthy by exercising regularly, drinking lots of water, and eating green vegetables and stick to a protein rich diet and maintain personal hygiene.