Dandruff is a common scalp disorder caused by the shedding of dead skin cells. The symptoms can be treated with shampoos, but you will not actually cure the problem. Dandruff is caused by dry skin, oily skin (over production of seborrheic dermatitis) and fungus called Malassezia (yeast like organism). When the yeast metabolizes with sebum, oleic acid is produced that irritates the scalp and causes flaking. This rapid growth results in the loss of extra cells that fall off, giving the white and flaky look.
It can be cured with natural remedies and aloe vera has proven to be an effective remedy. Aloe vera cleans, nourishes and protects hair from damage and leaves it shiny and healthy.
Aloe Vera For Dandruff
Is Aloe Vera good for Dandruff?
Both aloe vera gel and aloe vera extracts can be used safely to minimize dandruff.
- Aloe vera contains pectin and polysaccharides that stimulate the cells and make them divide and grow. Newly grown, fresh and healthy cells results in a healthy scalp.
- It soothes and moisturizes the dry scalp and removes dead skin cells.
- It expels the bacteria and other fatty deposits which clog the hair follicles.
- This helps to combat hair loss by stimulating the regeneration and capillary nutrition for the recovery of hair.
- It has an anti – inflammatory compound called glycoproteins that reduces the inflammation and soothes itching sensation.
- It contains various minerals and vitamins.
- It has a natural anti – fungal property that removes dandruff causing fungus and yeast on the scalp.
- It has an antiseptic property that soothes the scalp and reduces itching. It also penetrates deep into the hair and scalp to kill the bacteria and clean it.
- It has cleansing enzymes that eliminates the dead skin cell flakes and dandruff.
How To Use Aloe Vera For Dandruff?
Aloe vera gel strengthens hair from the roots and promotes healthy, shiny hair. It is used in many home remedies to get rid of dandruff.
Home Remedies For Dandruff
Here are some effective aloe vera home remedies to treat dandruff:
1. Aloe Vera Gel
- Squeeze an aloe vera leaf to extract its gel.
- Apply on the scalp and hair.
- Massage it gently and wrap a warm, damp towel on your head.
- Leave on for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with water followed by mild shampoo.
- Repeat 3 times a week.
2. Aloe Vera Gel with Curd and Olive Oil
Curd moisturizes the scalp.
- Mix 2 – 4 teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel or juice and 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or coconut oil) in 1 cup of curd.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and hair as a hair pack.
- Leave it on for about 30 – 40 minutes and wash it off with water and shampoo.
- Repeat this process regularly.
3. Aloe Vera and Eucalyptus Oil
Aloe vera and eucalyptus has medicinal properties that cleanse your hair.
- Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil with fresh aloe vera.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and massage gently.
- Leave for an hour or two, then rinse your hair with water.
- Repeat regularly.
4. Aloe Vera and Fenugreek
- Soak 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind these seeds in the morning.
- Add 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and stir to make a fine paste.
- Apply this mixture all over the scalp and leave for a few minutes.
- Apply twice a week.
5. Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti- septic properties that kills the fungal, viral and bacterial infections.
- Mix 5 – 7 drops of tea tree oil in 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this mix on the scalp, leave overnight then rinse with water.
- Repeat three times a week.
Note: You can also add 2 teaspoons of rose water to this mix for serum consistency.
- Add 20 drops each of tea tree oil and any other essential oil and 2 cups of water in 1 cup of aloe vera gel.
- Mix it well and apply this on the scalp and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Wash it off after about 30 minutes.
- Repeat three times a week.
6. Aloe Vera and Lemon Juice
Lemon has an acidic nature and antimicrobial properties that cleanse the scalp to remove dandruff.
- Squeeze a juice from half lemon and combine with 1/3 cup of aloe vera gel or juice.
- Apply it on scalp and massage gently.
- Wash hair with warm water after 30 minutes.
- Repeat once a week.
- Note: Add a little yogurt and olive oil to prevent stinging. Do not apply on wounds.
- Note: Mix a tablespoon each of lemon juice and aloe vera gel to 1 cup of shampoo. Use this as normal shampoo.
7. Aloe Vera and Neem Oil
Neem acts as an excellent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent. It removes dandruff and soothes an irritated scalp. The blend of aloe vera and neem oil removes dandruff, discourages fungal growth, strengthens hair from the root and promotes healthy hair growth.
- Mix 10 – 12 drops of neem oil in 2 – 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this all over the scalp.
- Massage gently and leave it on overnight.
- Rinse with mild shampoo and water the next morning.
- Repeat twice a week.
8. Aloe Vera and Camphor
Camphor kills the microbes which cause infection on the scalp.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of camphor powder with 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this on the scalp thoroughly, massage gently then leave for an hour.
- Wash hair with water.
- You can leave on overnight for more effective results.
9. Aloe Vera with Coconut Milk and Wheat germ Oil
Coconut milk nourishes the scalp and wheat germ oil cleanses the scalp to prevent dandruff.
- Combine aloe vera gel, coconut milk and wheat germ oil.
- Apply this on the scalp and massage gently.
- Wash and shampoo your hair.
- Repeat regularly.
- Mix 2.5 oz of coconut milk in 3 oz of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this on the wet hair and massage it into scalp.
- Leave for 5 minutes before washing it off with water.
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water and use this to as a final rinse.
- Repeat regularly.
10. Aloe Vera Oil
Aloe vera oil nourishes the scalp to prevent dryness and itchiness.
- Apply Aloe vera oil on the scalp and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Wash off after 15 minutes or if any discomfort occurs.
- Repeat the same process regularly for a week.
- Add tea tree oil for added results.
11. Aloe Vera and Coconut Oil
- Extract aloe vera gel from the leaf and add organic coconut oil.
- Stir it well and cook on a low flame for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Massage it gently on the scalp for a few minutes to ensure that the oil has spread.
- Leave on for hour or two, then wash off with water.
Note: You can use extra virgin olive oil instead of coconut oil.
You can also prepare natural aloe vera oil for dandruff.
- Blend 1 cup of aloe vera with few curry leaves.
- Strain the juice and pour in a pan on medium heat.
- Stir continuously until the aloe vera juice reduces to half of its quantity.
- Now add coconut oil, a few chopped onions and black pepper corns.
- Stir until the onions turn light brown.
- Apply this oil on the scalp and hair by massaging it gently.
- Wash it off the next morning with lukewarm water.
12. Aloe Vera Hair Mask with Honey and Yogurt
Yogurt has good bacteria that promotes a healthy scalp and prevents dandruff.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of yogurt and olive oil, 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 2 – 3 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and massage it gently for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Reapply this hair mask regularly.
- Mix 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 4 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and wash off with mild shampoo after 20 minutes.
- Repeat twice a week for at least a month.
13. Aloe Vera and Apple Cider Vinegar
This combinational hair mask reduces dandruff and also prevents its recurrence by clearing the epidermal layer of the scalp and balancing the pH levels. Honey soothes the scalp and provides essential moisture to it.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of organic, raw honey and 1 cup of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this all over the hair.
- Leave it on for few minutes and rinse it off with shampoo and water thoroughly.
- Apply 2 – 3 times a month to prevent dandruff.
14. Aloe Vera and Garlic
- Add 2 – 4 garlic cloves to 5 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Blend to make a paste and apply on the scalp.
- Leave on 40 minutes and wash with mild shampoo.
- Repeat regularly.
15. Aloe Vera and Green Tea
Green tea is anti-oxidant which help to cure dandruff and prevents hair loss by conditioning the hair.
- Soak 2 – 3 green tea bags to 2 cups of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Extract fresh aloe vera gel from the aloe leaf and blend into the green tea water.
- Pour into an empty spray bottle and spray all over the scalp and hair.
- Leave for about 10 – 15 minutes and rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Repeat once a week to reduce dandruff.
16. Aloe Vera Natural Shampoo with Reetha
Tea tree oil has an anti – fungal property that fights against the fungal scalp infection, vitamin E oil moisturizes the scalp. Reetha acts as a gentle hair cleanser that leaves your hair shiny and lustrous.
- Soak 3 – 4 reetha in 1 cup of water overnight.
- The next morning, boil them in 2 cups of water until the water reduces by half.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Add 10 – 12 drops of tea tree oil, 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel and 2 capsules of vitamin E oil.
- Stir it well and rub it gently on the scalp to make sure it is properly applied.
- Rinse your hair with water and repeat the same process 2 – 3 times a week.
Tips And Precautions:
- Always try to use fresh juice or gel.
- Do not use a blow dryer for drying your hair.
- Do not color hair if you have dandruff because it upsets the pH balance of the scalp and reduces the good bacteria that keep the scalp healthy.
- It can be used safely by people of all ages.
- You can use aloe vera shampoo to rinse hair and make sure it does not contain any harsh sulphates like sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and harsh, artificial fragrances and perfumes.
- Use conditioner that contains aloe vera along with zinc/sage.
- Avoid over using aloe vera mixed with lemon and honey on the scalp and hair, as it lightens the natural hair color.
- Reduce stress by practicing yoga and taking of rest.
- Make sure to consult your dermatologist know the exact reason for the dandruff and treatment If you didn’t observe any result with these remedies.