Yeast Infection - What Causes Yeast Infection?
Yeast infection is caused due to a fungus called Candida albicans which are present in the vagina of everyone. The good bacterial keep yeast cells under the control. When there is a hormonal imbalance, yeast cells grow rapidly out of control and cause an infection. Some of the reasons behind the yeast infection trigger are – weak immune system, poor eating habits, hormonal imbalance, and stress.
Symptoms Of Yeast Infection
Constant itching, soreness in the vagina, white/clumpy discharge, redness and swelling of the vulva are few common symptoms observed in people suffering from yeast infection.
Cranberry Juice For Yeast Infection
If you want to try home remedies for treating yeast infection then here is a detailed of how cranberry juice is helpful.
Is Cranberry Juice Cocktail Good for Yeast Infection?
Benefits Of Cranberry Juice For Yeast Infection:
- Cranberry juice flushes out yeast from the body.
- It corrects the pH levels of the urine, thus prevents the overgrowth of fungi.
- It prevents bacteria from clinging to mucous membranes of mouth, intestines and urinary tract.
- It acidifies the vaginal secretions which discourage the growth of yeast infections.
- Vitamin C and E present in cranberries boost your immunity.
- They contain antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- It helps to restore good bacteria in the vagina.
How to Use Cranberry Juice for Yeast Infections?
Consuming cranberries or its juice can be very effective in dealing with a yeast infection. Below, we have mentioned a detailed description of how you can incorporate them into your daily routine. Apart from that, consume probiotics daily to increase the good bacterial count which helps in preventing the recurrence of yeast infection.
Home Remedies For Yeast Infection
How Much Cranberry Juice For A Yeast Infection?
1. Cranberry Juice
- Drink 1 – 2 glass of cranberry juice daily.
Note: Make sure the juice is unsweetened, as sugars can worsen the yeast infection.
2. Cranberry Supplements
If you don’t like the taste of sour cranberry juice, then you can take cranberry supplements instead of it.
- Take 2 – 3 cranberry pills/capsules/tablets (400 milligrams) an hour or how hours before after having meals.
- Repeat 2 times a day.
3. Cranberry Fruits
- Eat a cup of cranberries 2 times a day.
- 1 cup of cranberries contains 4.6 grams of fiber which plays an important role in treating yeast infection.
- You can add them to yogurt or oatmeal.
Note: Don’t add any sweetener while consuming them.
4. Dried Cranberries
- Eat 1/3 cup of unsweetened dried cranberries.
- Repeat 2 times a day.
5. Topical Application
- Dab a cotton ball in unsweetened cranberry juice.
- Apply it over the affected areas.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Pat dry with soft cloth.
- Repeat 3 – 4 times a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- Cranberry supplements can interact with certain medications like blood thinning, antibiotics, aspirin and liver medication. So consult your doctor before taking them.
- Cranberry juice and fruits are considered safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women. But cranberry supplements have not been tested so its better to avoid them.
- Cranberry juice and extracts contain chemical oxalate. Oxalate and calcium are the main reasons for kidney stones. So people having a history of kidney stones should avoid high dosages and long-term drinking of cranberry juice.
- Avoid drinking cranberry juice that contains added sugars or artificial sweeteners.
- Yeast infection thrives in moist environments so keep the infected area dry.
- Wear cotton inner wear to help the infected area stay dry.
- Reduce sugar, caffeine and alcohol content.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins.
- Avoid cleaning the infected areas with soaps that contain harsh chemicals. You can use antifungal soaps.
- Reduce stress levels by doing meditation or yoga.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q) What type of cranberry juice is good for yeast infection?
A) Avoid drinking cranberry juice that contains added sugars and flavors. Cranberry juice that contains sugar worsens the yeast infection as yeast thrives on sugars.
Q) Is Cranberry Juice Cocktail Good for Yeast Infection?
A) According to some research, cranberry juice cocktail has not provided enough positive results in treating yeast infection. It is better to avoid them as they contain different juices and the sugar content is relatively high. This can worsen the infection rather than treating it.
Q) How Long Should One Drink Cranberry Juice for Yeast Infection?
A) As everyone’s condition is different the healing time also varies. Continue drinking cranberry juice daily until you clear the yeast infection. After clearing the yeast infection you can drink once in a while to prevent the growth of infection.
Q) How Many Glasses of Cranberry Juice to drink for Yeast Infection?
A) Drink 2 – 3 glasses maximum of cranberry juice per day. If you have a history of having kidney stones, then avoid drinking large amounts of cranberry juice.
Q) Can Cranberry Juice Used for Yeast Infection in Males?
A) Yes, cranberry juice can be used to treat yeast infection in males as well. The above mentioned methods can be useful for them too.