Yeast Infection - What Causes Yeast Infection?
Yeast infection or Candida is caused by microscopic fungi called Candida albicans.
While yeast infections generally affect the vaginal area, they can also develop in the lower abdomen, digestive system, nail beds, and under the breasts and beneath skin folds.
Proliferation of candida albicans can be triggered by pregnancy, chronic health conditions, usage of oral contraceptives, antibiotics and steroids, diabetes, stress and other factors.
Symptoms Of Yeast Infection
This yeast is always present in small amounts, but when it grows out of control, it causes itching, redness, and burning sensation.
Tea Tree Oil For Vaginal Itching And Yeast Infections
There are plenty of over-the-counter yeast infection remedies available, but we recommend tea tree oil as a natural alternative. It doesn’t contain chemicals or cause unwanted side effects. We’re about to tell you why it works and how to use it. Let’s get started!
Is Tea Tree Oil Good For Yeast Infection?
Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil For Yeast Infection:
- Tea tree oil contains terpinen – 4 – ol, which kills the fungus that causes yeast infections.
- It also contains gamma–terpinene and alpha–terpinene, which also inhibit the growth of candida albicans.
- Tea tree oil reduces inflammation, and helps restore the body’s balance of good and bad bacteria.
- It has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties that help to treat yeast infection.
- Tea tree oil has many therapeutic properties and it has the capability of eliminating a large number of microorganisms (like trichomonas) that treat Candida infection.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Yeast Infection?
Tea tree oil can be used in many ways that treat and prevent yeast infection. It is extremely potent, so it should always be diluted before use. Try all the methods below until you find the one that works best for you.
Home Remedies For Yeast Infection
1. Tea Tree Oil And Baking Soda
Baking soda restores the skin’s pH balance and relieves itching, burning, and swelling.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda and 10 drops tea tree oil to your shallow sitz bath.
- Run lukewarm water over this bath tub to mix all these ingredients.
- Get in and soak for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with plain water in the shower, then towel dry.
- Repeat daily until infection subsides.
- Or mix 3 cups of apple cider vinegar and few drops of tea tree oil in your bath water and take a bath to get rid of yeast infection.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 4 drops of tea tree oil and sufficient amount of water.
- Apply on yeast infected area.
- Leave for 3 to 7 minutes and wash with water.
- Apply regularly.
2. Tea Tree Oil And Carrier Oil
This method can be used to treat the infection in men, women, toddlers and pregnant women.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of any carrier oil like almond, castor, or olive oil.
- Massage gently into infected skin and leave on overnight.
- In the morning, rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat nightly.
3. Tea Tree Oil And Water
- Mix ½ teaspoon of tea tree oil and ½ cup of water.
- Apply on the yeast infected areas with the help of cotton ball.
- Leave for few minutes and then wash with water.
- Pat dry and repeat 3 times a day.
- For added benefit, mix in ¼ teaspoon lemon grass.
4. Tea Tree Oil Tampon
- Mix 5 drops of tea tree oil into ½ cup of water.
- Dip tampon in mixture and insert it into vagina.
- Leave in 2-3 hours.
- Take it out and wash the area thoroughly.
- Repeat 2 times a day.
5. Tea Tree Oil And Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has antifungal properties that kill the fungus that causes yeast infections. It is very effective to treat oral thrush.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix in 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- For oral infections, swish mixture around in mouth for 7 – 10 minutes, then spit it out.
- Repeat 3 times a day.
- Also, add a drop of tea tree oil to your regular toothpaste.
- For Toddlers, you can use tea tree oil based toothpaste and mouthwash to clear oral thrush.
- For Diaper Rash, remove old diaper, clean and dry baby, apply mixture, and put on fresh diaper.
6. Tea Tree Oil And Vegetable Oil
- Mix equal quantities of tea tree oil and vegetable oil.
- Apply on the yeast infected areas.
- Repeat daily.
- Fill bath tub with enough lukewarm water.
- Add 2 – 5 drops of tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and stir well.
- Get in and soak for 15 minutes.
- Repeat daily until you get relief from yeast infection.
7. Tea Tree Oil With Calendula Flower Oil And Emu Oil
Calendula oil and emu oil relieve inflammation and heal damaged tissue.
- Mix 5 drops tea tree oil with ½ ounce each of calendula flower oil and emu oil.
- Apply to infected areas 3 times a day.
- Regular application helps to treat yeast infection, itching and burning.
8. Tea Tree Oil With Apple Cider Vinegar And Acidophilus
Apple cider vinegar kills bacteria and fungi while restoring the skin’s pH balance. Acidophilus restores the balance between good and bad bacteria. It is very effective than OTC creams or treatments.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of pure L. Acidophilus, ½ cup of apple cider vinegar, and 10 drops of pure tea tree oil.
- Pour mixture into dropper bottle.
- Lie down on a towel, insert dropper into vagina, and squeeze until dropper is empty.
- Repeat daily.
9. Tea Tree Oil And Garlic
Garlic kills bacteria and fungus.
- Crush one peeled garlic clove and put a drop of tea tree oil on it.
- Wrap in gauze and place on the infected area for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat once a day.
10. Tea Tree Oil And Aloe Vera
Aloe vera soothes itching and burning sensations while reducing redness and swelling. It is effective to treat yeast infection in armpits.
- Mix 3 drops tea tree oil and 6 drops fresh aloe vera gel or juice.
- Use fingertips to apply to infected area, massaging gently for up to 5 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and dry.
- Repeat twice a day.
Note: you can use tea tree oil and aloe vera based deodorants after shower.
- To treat vaginal infection mix 6 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this mix on the vaginal areas to relieve from itching.
- Repeat twice a day.
- Or coat a tampon with this mixture before inserting.
- You replace aloe vera gel with vitamin E or cocoa butter.
- Or mix vitamin E oil, aloe vera and tea tree oil and apply this on underarm yeast infected areas to soothe the irritation and reduce the inflammation.
11. Tea Tree Oil And Lavender Oil
Lavender oil kills Candida albicans and tea tree oil disrupts the yeast cells’ membrane.
- Mix 5 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil.
- Dilute with 2 tablespoons of plain water.
- Use a cotton ball to apply this mixture on the infected area.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse with water.
- Pat dry and Repeat twice a day.
- Mix 3 drops each of tree oil and lavender oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Refrigerate it to get perfect solid clump.
- Apply on the genital area and leave for 2 to 3 hours.
- Rinse with water and apply regularly.
12. Tea Tree Oil Suppository
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil, 4 – 5 drops each of vitamin E oil, olive oil, calendula oil, sweet almond oil or vegetable oil and 4 – 6 drops of water.
- Stir well and apply on the yeast infected area.
- Repeat nightly for at least 6 days.
13. Tea Tree Oil And Oregano Oil
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of oregano oil and 1 teaspoon of almond oil.
- Use fingertips to apply to infected areas.
- Leave on few minutes, then rinse with water.
- Repeat at least twice a day.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops each of tea tree oil, cinnamon oil, peppermint oil, oregano oil and lemon oil in 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil.
- Pour in a bottle and apply on the yeast infected area.
- Leave for few minutes and then wipe with clean soft cloth.
- Follow method regularly.
14. Tea Tree Oil And Chamomile Tea Bags
- Brew 2 chamomile tea bags in 24 ounces of water.
- Remove tea bags from water and stir in 6 drops of tea tree oil, 5 drops of lavender oil, and 1 drop of thyme oil.
- Let this solution cool and pour this in a douche bag.
- Use this mix to douche the vaginal areas and repeat two times a day.
- Note: you can replace chamomile tea bag with yarrow or calendula.
- Or mix few drops of tea tree oil and thyme oil.
- Apply on the armpits with a cotton ball.
- Apply regularly to get rid of armpit yeast infection.
15. Tea Tree Oil Mouthwash
- Mix equal quantities of tea tree oil and water.
- Swish 1 tablespoon of this solution in your mouth for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Gargle toward the end, then spit.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat at least twice a day.
- If you have any irritations prepare the solution by adding few drops of tea tree oil in 1 small cup of water.
16. Tea Tree Oil And Honey
Honey kills bacteria and fungi that cause infections while soothing and moisturizing skin. use tea tree oil in less concentration at the beginning.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of raw honey.
- Use fingertips to massage into infected area.
- Leave on overnight, then rinse in the morning.
- Repeat nightly.
- Or soak a tampon in this mix and place it in vagina to treat vaginal yeast infection.
17. Tea Tree Oil And Palmarosa Oil
Palmarosa oil inhibits the growth of candida albicans. This is method is used to treat yeast infection in males.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of palmarosa oil.
- Add mixture to regular commercial yeast infection cream.
- Apply on the infected area.
- Apply daily.
Tips And Precautions:
For best results, follow the advice below when using tea tree oil to treat yeast infections.
- Women who are pregnant or nursing should consult a doctor before beginning regular tea tree oil treatments.
- Do not use tea tree oil on children under 6 years of age as it is too potent for their sensitive skin and may cause irritation.
- If tea tree oil seems to exacerbate yeast infection symptoms, stop using it right away.
- Before starting treatments, do a patch test to find out if you are allergic to tea tree oil.
- Do not consume tea tree oil internally as it is toxic and may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations, etc.
- Use 100% tree oil to treat yeast infection and use 5% concentration of tea tree oil to reduce the Candida’s growth. Tea tree oil products can be found in grocery stores, health and beauty stores, and online.
- Use water soluble tea tree oil rather than normal tea tree oil for effective results.
- Use tea tree oil-based soaps, shampoos, and lotions.
- Regular usage of tea tree oil pills or capsules or any other supplements help to deal with yeast infection. Ask your doctor about tea tree oil supplements.
- Wear loose, breathable clothing and dry your skin thoroughly before wearing cloths.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and avoid eating junk and fast foods along with sweets.
- Take showers regularly.
- Consult doctor if you did not find any relief from yeast infection after using these remedies.