Body odor or Bromhidrosis is an unpleasant problem which makes you self-conscious. When the bacteria break down the acids in the sweat, unpleasant body odor is developed.
What Causes Body Odor?
Some of the factors that contribute to body odor are poor hygiene, gastrointestinal problems, underlying medical problems and nutrient deficiencies.
How To Get Rid Of Body Odor?
Body odor is really embarrassing. A person having body odor always feels unconfident and want a solution to it. For this sake people try many market products, deodorants and perfumes, but most of the time they help only for some hours and then, it’s the same odor left.
A proper and effective solution to combat body odor is the use of natural home remedies. Using natural ingredients has always proved to be effective, easy and everlasting.
Lemon For Body Odor
Commercial deodorants and antiperspirants only mask the odor temporarily. Natural ingredients like lemon and apple cider vinegar help in addressing the root cause rather than masking the stench. But, let’s learn more about lemon for body odor in this article.
Is Lemon Juice Effective for Controlling Body Odor?
Benefits Of Lemon For Body Odor:
- The acidic nature of lemon lowers the pH levels of the body which make it inhospitable for bacterial growth.
- The antibacterial and antifungal properties of lemon juice suppress the growth of microbes that live on the skin and feed on sweat.
- Lemon juice is a natural astringent that shrinks and tightens the pores which in turn reduces sweat production.
- The refreshing citrusy smell of lemon juice covers unpleasant smell and works as a natural alternative to chemical-laden deodorants.
- Drinking lemon water improves detoxification and liver activity which addresses the problem of body odor that is caused by toxin accumulation in the body.
How to Use Lemon for Body Odor?
Lemon juice is an effective natural remedy for body odor that can be used alone or in combination with other ingredients.
Home Remedies For Body Odor
There are a number of ways in which you can use lemons for body odor removal.
Method 1. Lemon Juice
- Cut a fresh lemon into two halves.
- Squeeze out the juice from the lemons.
- Soak a cotton pad in the juice and rub it on your underarms and other odorous areas of the body.
- Let the juice dry on its own.
- Take a shower.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
Note: Those with highly sensitive skin should not use undiluted lemon juice directly on the skin. It is best to dilute it with equal parts of water.
Method 2. Lemon Juice Spray
- Squeeze out the juice of two lemons.
- Mix it with one cup of water.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Use it as a substitute for deodorants and apply it to your underarms whenever it stinks.
Note: You can also use a mixture of lemon and lime juice for the spray.
Method 3. Lemon Wedge Scrub
- Cut a fresh lemon into two halves
- Take one half of the lemon and rub it on your underarms.
- Squeeze the lemon while rubbing it so that the juices come out from the lemons.
- Wait till the juice dries up on its own.
- Wash your underarms with water.
- Repeat it on a daily basis.
Note: This procedure helps to remove all the dirt, impurities and dead skin cells from your underarms.
2. Lemon and Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a powerful germicidal agent that destroys body-odor causing bacteria and fungi through oxidation.
- Prepare a solution by adding 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in 1 cup of water.
- Take a clean washcloth, dip it in the solution and place it under your arms for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice on a daily basis till you get rid of body odor completely.
3. Lemon and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar fights body odor by balancing the pH of the skin and creating a hostile environment for bacteria causing body odor.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into 1 cup of water.
- Mix the ingredients well and dip a cotton ball into it.
- Use the wet cotton ball to wipe your underarms.
- Repeat it twice – once after taking a bath and once before going to bed on a daily basis.
4. Lemon and Salt
Salt possesses great absorption and drying properties that helps to prevent excessive sweating. Salt crystals absorb the sweat and block the pores without leaving behind any smell.
- Cut a lemon into two halves.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of coarse salt over one half.
- Rub it under your arms while squeezing the lemon so that the salt crystals mix with the juices and rub against your skin to exfoliate.
- Continue for 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for another 10 minutes and wash off with water.
5. Lemon and Baking Soda
Sweat contains certain acids that encourage the growth of bacteria. Baking soda is alkaline in nature, so it helps to lower the pH level of the sweat-prone areas of the body by counteracting with the acids. It also works as a natural deodorant.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of water in a glass bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly to make a smooth and thick paste.
- Apply it evenly on your underarms and let it dry on its own.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat it once on a daily basis for best results.
6. Lemon and Witch Hazel
Witch hazel fights body odor by lowering the pH level of the skin which makes it difficult for the odor-causing bacteria to live. It also acts as a natural astringent that contracts the skin pores and reduces the production of sweat.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of witch hazel essential oil and lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Soak a cotton pad in the mixture.
- Dab it under your arms and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day and use it as an antiperspirant.
7. Lemon and Cornstarch
The powdery base of corn starch soaks the sweat away as soon as it begins to break out. And being non-perfumed, it does not leave behind any smell.
- Take 2 tablespoons each of cornstarch and lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a glass bowl.
- Mix well to form a thick and smooth paste.
- Apply this paste evenly on your underarms and let it dry on its own.
- Wash away with water.
- Repeat it once every day.
8. Lemon and Potato Pulp
Potato has the capacity to absorb excess water from the body. It is known as an effective natural antiperspirant and blocking agent.
- Peel a medium sized potato and grate it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the grated potato pulp and mix well.
- Apply the mixture under the arms and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with water or take a shower.
- Repeat this remedy once every day.
9. Lemon and Tomato Juice
The anti-oxidant and astringent properties of tomato help to shrink the skin pores and control sweat production which in turn lowers body odor.
- Crush one medium-sized tomato and extract its pulp and juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to it and mix well.
- Apply it under the arms and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take a shower to wash it off.
- Repeat this remedy once in a day.
10. Lemon and Wheat Grass Drink
In certain cases, body odor is caused due to the accumulation of toxins in the body. Wheat grass helps to control sweating and reduce body odor by decreasing toxins in the blood and controlling the activity of the acids.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of wheat grass juice and lemon juice to ½ cup of water and mix well.
- Drink this concoction on empty stomach in the morning.
- Repeat this remedy every morning for few weeks.
11. Lemon and Honey
This process makes an amazing scrub which is not only effective in reducing body odor but also bleaches the armpits.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice, honey and sugar.
- Apply the mixture on the armpits and gently scrub for few minutes.
- Leave the application for another few minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
- People with highly sensitive skin should not apply undiluted lemon juice directly, because it can cause skin irritation and stinging.
- Lemon juice makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight and can cause tanning, so it is recommended not to go out in the sun after applying lemon juice on skin.
- Being highly acidic in nature, lemon juice can damage the tooth enamel in the long run, so it is best to consume it in diluted form.
- It is recommended to use fresh lemon juice to attain maximum benefits of vitamin C. The potency and benefits of lemon juice starts decreasing if it is left in contact with the atmosphere.
- Make sure to take a bath at least once every day.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins from the body.
- Avoid body odor causing foods such as garlic, onion, spicy foods, red meat, processed foods, and sugary foods.
- Add more leafy green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and healthy oils to your diet.
Say good bye to chemical laden deodorants and antiperspirants and fight body odor naturally with lemon juice.