Warts (or Condyloma) are small, non – cancerous growths on the skin caused due to human papilomavirus (HPV). They are generally harmless and painless.
Causes of WartsBe aware that they can spread from body part to body part or person to person. They can occur on any part of the body but most commonly seen on the hands and feet.
How to Get Rid of Warts?
There are many over the counter remedies to get rid of warts, but home remedies are the cheapest option with no side effects. Tea tree oil is one of the best among them.
Tea Tree Oil for Warts
Tea tree essential oil is extracted from melaleuca alternifolia tree of Australia which is widely popular for its antiseptic, antiviral and anti –inflammatory properties. It is used in the manufacture of many cosmetic and health based products like creams, lotions, soaps, gels and in certain medications.
Is Tea Tree Oil Good For Treating Warts?
- It has antiviral and antiseptic properties that fight against the virus.
- The application of this oil stops the infection and development of bacteria, virus and fungi to relieve inflammation and redness along with irritation.
- It contains a powerful antimicrobial compound called Terpinen – 4 – ol that attacks the HPV causing warts.
- It stops the growth of warts and dries them out to make them fall off naturally.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Warts?
Here are some of the ways to use tea tree oil and follow them regularly to get rid of warts. Always do a patch test before using tea tree oil remedies.
Home Remedies For Warts
1. Tea Tree Oil And Water to Remove Warts
- Wash and dry the affected areas with soap and warm water.
- Apply a drop of undiluted tea tree oil on the affected area and cover with a bandage.
- Or apply tea oil to a bandage and apply on the warts.
- Leave for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the bandage and wash the area with water.
- Continue doing the same process every night.
This process is used to treat all types of warts including genital warts.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of water.
- Soak a cotton ball and squeeze it to wring out excess.
- Apply this mix on the warts and cover with a bandage.
- Leave it on overnight and rinse it off the next morning.
- Repeat regularly.
A tea tree oil bath is very effective in treating warts. It also relieves you from the pain and itching associated with presence of genital warts.
- Add few drops of tea tree oil to bath tub of warm water.
- Stir it well and soak for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Dry your skin and repeat the same process regularly.
2. Tea Tree Oil And Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties.
- Mix equal quantities of tea tree oil with freshly squeezed aloe vera gel.
- Stir it well and apply this mix on the affected areas.
- Wrap the applied area with a gauze and medical tape.
- Leave it on for few hours to overnight.
- Wash it off with water and re-apply the same process regularly.
- Or soak the gauze portion of the adhesive bandage in this mix and cover the wart with this bandage.
3. Tea Tree Oil And Carrier Oil
- Mix 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil in any carrier oil like olive oil, almond oil, avocado oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil.
- Apply on the affected skin.
- Massage it gently for a minute or two and leave it on for another few minutes.
- You can also leave it on overnight then rinse with water and pat the skin dry.
- Repeat daily.
- You can also add a little clove or frankincense oil to get additional benefits.
- For genital warts mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil with 4 drops of olive oil and apply on the affected genital areas.
- Continue doing this process a few times a day.
4. Tea Tree Oil With Table Salt And Warm Water
This process helps for treating the warts on your hands and feet.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of salt and 5 liters of warm water.
- Soak your hands or feet in this water for about 10 – 15 minutes at night time.
- Continue doing this process for 5 – 10 days.
5. Tea Tree Oil And Garlic
This process is very effective in treating plantar warts on the feet and other warts.
- Place 2 – 4 drops of tea tree oil on the warts at night time before going to bed.
- Cover the area with crushed garlic and wrap it with a bandage.
- Leave it on overnight without disturbing.
- Repeat the same process every night for up to 3 weeks.
- Make sure not to get in the eyes, mouth or nose.
6. Tea Tree Oil And Epsom Salt
This process works well for treating warts on the feet. As the skin on feet is thick, you can apply directly without diluting.
- Mix Epsom salt in warm water.
- Soak the foot in for 20 minutes before going to bed.
- Then soak a cotton swab in tea tree oil and dab it on plantar warts and cover with a band-aid.
- Repeat nightly.
7. Tea Tree Oil And Lavender Oil
- Add few drops of tea tree oil to lavender oil.
- Stir it well and apply this mix on warts and surrounding areas.
- Leave it on for a few minutes to dry.
- Repeat the same process regularly.
8. Tea Tree Oil With Baking Soda And Castor Oil
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and castor oil.
- Add few drops of tea tree oil and stir well.
- Apply this paste on the plantar warts after washing your feet.
- Massage gently for a minute or two and cover with a band-aid.
- Leave on overnight and washing it off with warm water next day.
- Apply regularly.
9. Tea Tree Oil And Essential Oils
- Mix 20 drops each of oregano oil, frankincense oil, tea tree oil and medieval in a 2 oz glass dropper bottle.
- Add some raw apple cider vinegar.
- Fill the remaining with fractionated coconut oil.
- Stir it well and keep it aside overnight.
- Apply this mix directly on the warts with a cotton swab.
- Leave it on overnight and rinse with water next day.
- Apply this blend regularly.
Essential oils are very effective in treating warts and carrier oils for reducing the burning effects on skin caused by these essential oils.
- Add 2 drops each of tea tree oil, manuka oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil in 1 tablespoon of your desired carrier oil.
- Stir it well in a small dark colored bottle.
- Apply this mix on the affected areas with a cotton ball.
- Secure it tightly with a bandage or gauze and leave on overnight.
- Repeat daily.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil, 4 drops of cypress, 7 drops of thyme oil, 4 drops of bergamot oil, 6 drops of tea tree oil and 14 drops of lemon essential oil in a dark colored glass bottle.
- Keep it aside overnight.
- Apply just a drop of this mix on the wart and massage gently.
- Leave on for few minutes and wash with water.
- Repeat regularly for at least 2 – 3 weeks.
10. Tea Tree Oil With Grape Fruit Seeds For Genital Warts
- Soak few grapefruit seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the seeds to make a paste and add a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Stir it well and apply topically on the genital warts.
- Leave on for 20 – 30 minutes and rinse the area well with water.
- Repeat the process twice a day on regular basis.
11. Tea Tree Oil And Eucalyptus Oil
- Add a few drops each of tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil in a small bowl.
- Stir it well and apply this oil on the affected areas with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wash off with water.
- You can add peppermint oil or cajeput oil instead of eucalyptus oil.
12. Tea Tree Oil With Ginger Oil
Ginger oil is antiviral oil that helps to treat many drug resistant viral infections.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil in ginger oil.
- Stir it well and apply on the warts at night time.
- Massage gently and leave on overnight.
- Repeat the process daily.
13. Tea Tree Oil With Oregano Oil And Clove Oil
Oregano oil has amazing properties that cures the warts but can cause some burning sensation on the skin. Add more carrier oil if you wish to use on the face.
- Add 2 drops each of tea tree oil, oregano oil, clove oil and lemongrass oil in 1 tablespoon of any desired carrier oil in a small glass bottle.
- Apply some Vaseline all around the affected areas to protect the surrounding skin from irritation.
- Apply a few drops of this mix directly on the warts with a cotton ball.
- Cover with a bandage or a piece of fabric and leave on overnight.
- Repeat the process for 14 days or longer.
14. Tea Tree Oil For After Wart Removal
After the warts have been treated, there is still a chance for them to reoccur. This process has anti – viral protection, so use once or twice a week until the skin has completely healed.
- Mix 6 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Apply this mix on the healed area.
- Leave it on for few minutes or overnight to heal the skin.
- Reapply this process regularly.
15. Tea Tree Oil And Banana Peel
Banana helps to keep the affected skin moist and allows the tea oil to penetrate deep into the skin to kill the warts causing virus.
- Wash the affected areas with warm water to clear the dead skin and to soften it.
- Cut the banana peel into 2 inches wide.
- Apply a few drops of tea tree oil on the warts and place the inside of banana peel.
- Secure with medical tape or bandage and leave on overnight.
- Repeat every night until warts disappear.
Tips And Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions for safe and quick results.
- Never ever apply tea tree oil without diluting it, especially if you have dry or sensitive skin.
- Avoid the intake of tea tree oil in any form as it can be harmful when consumed.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children below 6 years should not apply this tea tree oil on their affected skin without prior advice from their doctors.
- Also don’t apply undiluted tea tree oil to any genital region.
- You can easily find tea tree oil in many natural food or health stores, in some pharmacies and online. But make sure that it is 100% pure tea tree oil.
- The best time to apply tea tree oil is at night time before going to bed.
- Apply tea tree oil only on the warts otherwise it damages healthy skin.
- You can also use tea tree oil based creams.
- Prior to following warts remedies, applying petroleum jelly on healthy skin around warts helps to protect the healthy skin.
- Remember to store tea tree oil in a cool dark place away from the reach of children.
- Avoid applying this oil with your bare hands, as these warts are contagious and can pass from body part to body part. Also always discard used cotton swabs.
- Remember, it may take at least 2 – 3 week to see the results (depends on the size of warts).
- Consult your if you didn’t find any relief after using these tea tree oil methods.